Thursday, August 24, 2006

Our "Spirited" Child

So, in my previous post, I mentioned that I bought a book called "Raising your Spirited Child".

When I initially heard about the book, I thought the "spirited" part referred to the energy level of the child. And based on that alone, I thought it might be a book worth reading, since our little boy never stops moving. Not even when he's sitting down. He's always got to be moving something.

Occasionally, in a vain attempt to get him to take naps, I'll actually try to hold his little legs still so that he can't move. That usually only works for about 5 seconds before he throws me off. (at which point, I usually consider if I might do any severe physical or psychological damage by actually laying on top of him...)

Anyway, I've only read the first part of the book, but it turns out that the author was trying to come up with some word to use other than "difficult" or "problem". Which is even more fitting for our sweet little boy!! :)

I've only read through the beginning of the book where you're supposed to answer a bunch of questions and determine what type of temperament your child has - is he calm and laid-back, or is he very intense. About everything. The boy falls into the "intense" group in pretty much everything.

So, I'm interested to see what types of coping mechanisms she suggests. Besides drinking. Heavily. (but that seems to be doing the trick so far, so why mess with a good thing?...)

No comments: