Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Triathlon Training

A couple of weeks ago, we got an e-mail from our YMCA informing us that there would be a free Kids Triathlon Training Program that would be offered for members this spring - which, for us here in Houston, is early February!  The triathlon is in mid-April.  Since we've talked with our kids about how good they would be at triathlons, we thought this would be a great thing for them to do.  Luckily, they agreed.

This kids triathlon involves a 100 yard swim, a 3 mile bike, and a 1/2 mile run.  The only thing I thought might cause them a little bit of trouble is the running part.  I'd been out running with our son a few times last year and it seemed like he needed to stop several times during a run of only about a mile.  So, this past weekend, I figured we'd better get the kids out and running ...and get our parental-selves off our ever-expanding rear-ends, too!

So, both Saturday and Sunday, we went running with the kids.  I ran with Fellan and my husband ran with Marxo and we ran from our house to our elementary school and back - about a 2 mile run.

Fellan surprised me.  On Saturday, he wanted to stop and walk about three times during the run, but on Sunday, I think we only stopped once.  Then again last night the whole family went running after we got home from work and school and he again only wanted to stop once.  Truthfully, though, I think he doesn't actually need that break, so we'll have to cut that out soon.

Marxo's running abilities have also been a pleasant surprise.  I expected her to whine and complain about doing this training, but it turns out that she's motivated and excited about doing this triathlon!  I feel like she might be the one person in our family who could probably be running faster than everyone else, but her endurance is a little lacking.

The husband and I are the ones who are really feeling beat up by this family running thing.  By the time Monday came around, I could barely walk and after last night's run, my legs still felt like jello.  It's good for both of us parents that we're starting this training with a fairly short distance.  Hopefully this will help us to start getting ourselves back into shape, too.  :)

No comments: