Monday, November 14, 2005

Flag burning

So I went to a flag burning the other day. No, nobody was yelling, "Down with the US!" - it was a sanctioned company event where they retire the flags that fly in front of our building every year on Veteran's Day.

I think I went to the first one of these that the company did about 6 or 7 years ago. And there were about 6 or 7 people who attended it! It's become quite a production these days, though. They have some ROTC kids come and do the whole ceremony and the head of the office made a little speech. It was nice.

My grandpa was a veteran of WWII, so I guess I feel a little bit of a connection to the Veteran's Day events. But no matter what, I do think it's important for everyone to take a little time and think about all the people who have died to give us the independence and freedom that we enjoy. It's quite amazing when you think about it.

I guess it's strange to some people that liberals can actually be patriotic, too. But I believe it's really our patriotic nature that makes us liberals. We care just as much (if not more!) about our freedom and our country as all the conservatives, we just think we have different responsiblities to each other and society than the conservatives do. And luckily, we only have 2 more years of Bush to suffer through before we can try to get the country back on the right track! :)

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Wow- glass is half full!

2 loooooooong years. You know it's getting bad when even the radically right are getting frustrated with the prez.

Courtney said...

And I didn't even know about the ceremony....don't come up from under my mushroom much.

Anonymous said...

Wish I could find an editorial I saw written right before last year's election. Basically, you were damned to hell if you didn't vote Republican, because you had no "values". Someone posted a great reply... talking about the "values" of a president who believes killing a few cells in a woman's womb is murder, but finds it acceptable to drop 500# bombs on innocent civilians to quench our thirst for oil. The "values" of a party who protects the right for every citizen to buy AK-47 assault rifles with no practical use other then to kill. The "values" of a president who strips individuals of any rights and freedoms if they are so-called enemy combatants, all in the name of "liberty and freedom". The "values" of a government who can look the other way when atrocities in Sudan occur. It went on and on.

Just perusing blogs... keep it up.