Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Save me from the Olympics

I'm powerless to stop watching the Olympics every night. I think I finally set the TV to the sleep timer at 1am last night.

Everyone is so caught up in Phelps-mania, but I love the whole thing. Finally, the other day, I got to see some water polo and equestrian events. The only thing I'm really missing seeing now is synchronized swimming (do they still do that?).

The kids keep begging us if they can watch one of "their shows". Poor kids. We have no sympathy for them, however. Our answer is always the same, "The Olympics only happens once every four years. NO. We will continue watching the Olympics and you will love it!" (well, I think we leave off that last sentence - we usually just say, "NO!")

The one thing I could really do without is the arrogant track athletes. I'm already tired of watching them showboat across the finish line, letting up during the last 10 meters of the race and coasting across the line just to show how truly awesome they think they are. And then the interviews of those people afterwards? Please. I don't need them to tell me how awesome they are again.

I was very proud of the three guys who swept the 400m hurdles for the US, though. They were very nice during their interview and talked about how happy they were to represent the US. That was a nice change.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go take a nap during lunchtime...

No comments: