Friday, September 22, 2006

I know, I know...

Yeah, I know, this post is long overdue!

I returned from Pascagoula last Thursday night - our flight was delayed by more than 2 hours, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. There were two other flights to Houston that had been delayed that afternoon. One of which was supposed to leave at 12:22, but didn't leave until 6:30 and there were a couple of families on that plane. My heart really went out to them!!

Since I got back, I've just been busy playing with the kids and working. Good times.

You know, since I recently changed jobs, I'm still kind of trying to get used to the new company. I'm now a "lead" on a project and I feel like I'm just totally fumbling my way through it. (I kind of thought I was a little more competent than this!)

The problem lies in the fact that I'm a horrible procrastinator. (yes, Mom, I know it!) And if I don't have a set deadline for something, I just can't get myself motivated to really get into the nitty-gritty of the work.

Usually on engineering projects, there are the different engineering disclipines (process, mechanical, civil/structural, instrumentation, piping, etc.) and then project management and project controls. In the past, I've always considered the project controls people pretty much the most useless ones on the project. They are the ones in charge of setting up the project schedule and then yelling at everyone when they can't meet the completely ridiculous and unrealistic dealines they set.

Apparently, in my new company, these people exist, but they have yet to do anything on my current project. At this rate, we'll be done with the project before any schedule gets made. So now I'm forced to figure out a schedule for myself, taking into account all the other disciplines and determining just how far behind I am.

And I guess I'll go eat a little crow, too, for all those nasty things I said about project controls...

No comments: