Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Better than I ever thought it could be

I'm still on an emotional high after putting the kids in the same room together. It's just so much better than I ever thought it could be! (believe me, I'm knocking on wood, touching iron, and keeping my fingers and toes crossed as I say this...)

I worried and agonized about how difficult it was going to be and how they would surely wake each other up and how none of us were going to get any sleep for the month following this transition. And it has turned out to be the opposite. They go to sleep easier, they don't wake each other up, and bed time has turned into something I think they both look forward to.

I wonder how long this will last... I'm just going to enjoy it while I can!

(originally posted at 9:43pm, Feb. 7)

UPDATE:
I should have known better. I shouldn't tempt fate like that, because fate will always come and bite me in the butt.

Last night, my sleep was interrupted several times! I had to get up to go pee at 2:00 - which isn't really a big deal, because I went right back to sleep, but then at 2:25, the baby monitor started beeping. The husband turned it off and turned it back on, which usually fixes it, but when I opened my eyes, I could tell there was something wrong. It took a few seconds for me to process what I was seeing and finally realize that the power was off - that's why the monitor started beeping - no signal from the kids' bedroom because that monitor plugs into the wall and doesn't have a rechargeable battery. (why it doesn't have a rechargeable battery, I have no idea!)

So, I was laying there trying to figure out if I should worry about no power, or not. I checked outside to see if the street light was on - no, it wasn't, so it was the whole neighborhood without power and it wasn't someone trying to break into our house or something. But then I realized that without power, the heater wouldn't work, so if it stayed off too long, the kids would get cold. Now I had to try to figure out if it was worth attempting to go into their bedroom to cover them up and risk the possibility of waking them up...

Just then, the husband realized that no power meant his computer downstairs would soon lose power (he has a battery backup on the surge protector, but it only lasts about 30 minutes). So, he headed downstairs to save his work and I thought we'd better call the power company to make sure they knew our neighborhood was without power.

Thirty minutes later, when I finally got to talk to a person (Did I mention it was 2:30am? Just how many people could be calling the electric company at that hour?!), they told me the crews were working on it and it should be back on soon. As I was laying there, just about to go back to sleep, the power came back on and made the house alarm beep and scared the crap out of me again! I think I finally got back to sleep at around 3:30.

Then at 5:00, the boy started screaming. This, of course, woke up the girl (because, in this original post, I said they didn't wake each other up!), so hubby took the boy to our room, while the girl nursed and I tried to get her to go back to sleep. I finally put her back in bed at about 5:25 and crawled back into our bed to wait the 8 minutes until my alarm was scheduled to go off.

THE MORAL OF THE STORY: Get a baby monitor that has rechargeable batteries in both units and that way, at least you'll only be awakened by screaming babies, not power outages. (of course, that would then cause your husband to lose his work on his computer, but really, isn't sleep more important than work?!)

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Why didn't he have his work SAVED already?

If it makes you feel any better, I had a 1:15 am wakeup call last night. The girl started crying for no apparent reason.

shara said...

Sleep is work of a different kind. Good luck with the kids in one room, we've been back and forth on that one and at the moment ours are separated. Otherwise they're up all night, fighting or playing.

Courtney said...

Oh dear Sara of mine. Why must you vacation?

I
AM
SO
BORED