Wednesday, August 02, 2006

My cat has fleas

Ugh. The cat has fleas!!

The other night, my husband was sitting on the couch with the cat when he suddenly exclaimed, "Oh crap! I think I just saw a flea run across Midas' face!!!" (Midas is the cat, by the way.)

I really hate fleas. When we first moved down here to Texas after college, we moved in with my husband's parents. They had a cat that had always had fleas. But when we introduced our two cats to the household, there was a flea explosion. It was disgusting.

From that point on, I swore we'd never have flea-ridden cats again. When we moved out, we took the cats to be "dipped" and then took them straight to our new place. And we never saw another flea. Until last night.

Hoping that my husband's eyes were deceiving him, I got out the flea comb last night and started searching. Sure enough, I found at least 10 fleas on him. Yuk!!

How can a cat who has not seen the light of day since we moved into the house eight years ago (except for annual trips to the vet, of course) get fleas?! The only thing I can figure is that either he picked them up at the vet a year ago (because I seem to recall seeing some there and thinking, "My cat better not end up with fleas from coming to the vet's office!!"), or the kids brought one or two back from their friend's house - they have a dog. Either way, I'm mad!

Now I'm off to call the vet and make an appointment for his check-up (it was time anyway) and getting some kind of super-duper flea medication...

No comments: