Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Inherent good or inherent evil?...

My boss has a really annoying way of finding things he thinks are mistakes and then coming to tell me about them with an evil "I caught you" kind of smile thing. It's as if he takes great pleasure in pointing out a mistake I have made.

Today he did the same thing, with a fun prelude to the final "gotcha", asking me questions he knew I would answer "Yes" in order to prove how wrong I was when I originally did the work.

Ha! But I got HIM! I was correct and could back up my work when he finally got around to trying to use the "gotcha" on me.

Still, it leaves me with a kind of sick, deflated feeling to know that someone could try to take such joy in making me re-do something. He only does this every once in awhile, which is really good because I wouldn't be able to take it on a daily basis, but having this happen to me today has left me in a bit of a depressed state. Makes me wonder about whether there is actually inherent good in people, or is it really inherent evil?

5 comments:

Courtney said...

Want me to kick his butt? Really, it wouldn't be hard.

Michael said...

Romans 3:23, we're inherently bad inside though we learn to be good. Which do you have to teach your kids: how to lie, or how to tell the truth?

Sara said...

Actually, our 2.5-year-old son has no idea how to lie yet. If we ask him a question, he answers it truthfully without any idea he might get in trouble for telling the truth. "Did you push your baby sister down?" "Yes!" He tells us every time.

Michael said...

Heh, that's pretty funny.

So are you going to teach him to lie, or will he figure that out on his own? :P

Courtney said...

I agree that kids learn how to lie. They begin to connect the fact that actions have consequences. In order to avoid negative consequences, they lie. They also learn by example. They see the little white lies we all tell to be polite and live in a society. So the answer to your question is both. We teach them to lie and to tell the truth.