Monday, September 14, 2009

Rainy Weekend, Bad Curry

The rainy weekend sure did put a damper on outside activities this weekend. But, it did mean that we got to watch a few episodes of Star Trek: Next Generation, we washed all the laundry, and made it to Costco to stock up on laundry detergent, fruit, and wine. Exciting!!!

I attempted to make curry chicken in the crock pot again yesterday. I made this once before when my parents were here back in February, I think. It took me awhile to build up my nerve again because it was a very disappointing dish. It smelled really great, but then tasted like absolutely nothing.

I read that in order for curry spices to be flavorful, you have to cook them first in order to release the flavors. So, I put all the spices in a pan, put a little bit of grapeseed oil in there with them and semi-sauteed them for a little bit.

It still didn't work. Once again, it smelled fantastic and then tasted completely bland. I don't know what I'm doing wrong - if anyone can help me, I'd love your advice. The combination of other "stuff" in the dish is really very good (chicken thighs, garbanzo beans, sweet potato, and green beans) and I think it would be a really, really good meal - if only it tasted like curry, like it's supposed to! *sigh*

No comments: