Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Rules to live by

As I eluded to in my last post, we have been going to the Unitarian Universalist Church off and on for a few years now.  We like the messages that they have during the sermons and the kids really love the Religious Education program they go to while we're in the service.

The UU church has 7 principles they teach and one of the songs the kids sing (to the tune of Do-Re-Mi) goes like this:
  1. Each person is important
  2. Be kind in all you do
  3. We're free to learn together
  4. And search for what is true
  5. All people need a vote
  6. Build a fair and peaceful world
  7. We care for earth and sky
Don't get me started about how this doesn't rhyme - it really bugs me! - but every once in awhile I hear the kids singing it, so it must somehow get through to them and they seem to be able to remember the principles pretty well.

The kids have also been taking Tae Kwon Do now for a couple of years and every practice starts with the following pledge:

     I, as a Universal member pledge:
     To be loyal to my nation, my parents, and my family.
     To respect my seniors and be courteous to my juniors.
     To be righteous and show good conduct.
     To develop leadership with the tenets of Tae Kwon Do.

AND since Fellan has been going to Cub Scouts for the past couple of months, he now has the Boy Scout Oath to remember:

     On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God
     and my country, and to obey the Scout Law; to
     help other people at all times; to keep myself
     physically strong; mentally awake; and morally straight.

So, during the Boy Scout event last Saturday, one of the stations he visited was about "Manners".  They apparently asked the boys to write down five examples of good manners.  The husband took a picture of Fellan's paper and sent it to me.


It says:
  1. Say please and thank you
  2. Say excuse me
  3. Listen to your scout master
  4. Respect earth and sky
  5. Respect your elders and be courteous to your juniors
I asked the husband if Fellan had received any prompting to come up with this list and he said Fellan came up with them all on his own.  I love the mix of scouting, Tae Kwon Do, and UU principles.  And the husband said that they used his as an example for the other kids.  Score!  This is one of those rare instances when it almost makes me feel like we've done something right.  ;)

P.S.  Fellan's handwriting is a really good example of what Dysgraphia looks like...

No comments: