Monday, April 17, 2006

Sore and Sunburned

"Sore and Sunburned" this is how I described myself this morning when a friend asked me how I felt today.

After digging in the dirt and killing way too many worms by unintentially cutting them in half with my shovel (but hopefully saving quite a few by picking up their wriggling little bodies and throwing them into the neighbor's bushes), we finally have the walkway mostly dug out. I would post a picture, but I can hardly move my hands enough today to type this, let alone actually squeeze a button on a camera!

The decomposed crushed granite never showed up and we've re-scheduled it to show up this coming Friday morning. It should be a really fun way to spend my 35th birthday. I will probably be feeling like I'm 75 by the end of the day on Friday, considering how bad I feel now and we finished the digging on Saturday!

Wow, 35! That's just so hard for me to believe! Not that I'm worried about concealing my age (obviously) - I don't want to ever feel like I need to do that - but I try to look at myself sometimes through the eyes of the kids that my husband and I tutor and I think we must really look old to them. Well, I'm no longer tutoring my student, since she graduated from high school 2 years ago and has a one-year-old baby now. But still, you know what I mean.

Anyway, getting back to the walkway - we're pretty much done digging, but we need to level it out a little bit, lay down the weed barrier, and get the "landscape timbers" set where we want them as a divider between the neighbor's rocks and our gravel. Plus, we somehow came up with the crazy idea of planting some dwarf mondo grass between our pathway and the driveway, so we have to figure out how to install plastic edging to separate the gravel from the mondo grass without having either of the two already in place. ??? And if that doesn't make sense, then you know exactly why we're perplexed by this problem.

I'll keep you updated on the progress - of both the walkway and my poor skin (which I put sunblock on, by the way!) - and I'll hopefully have pictures of a glorious decomposed granite gravel pathway to show you next week!

No comments: