Thursday, April 06, 2006

Sick and tired and leaving

Today I'm sick. And I'm tired. And I'm leaving.

I didn't sleep well last night and I assumed it was because of the damn mattress that we bought. You see, we needed to get a mattress to put in our table bed and we decided that we would move our old mattress downstairs and buy a new one for ourselves.

Two weekends ago, we went out shopping. And we found a very, very comfortable mattress, which also happened to be a very, very expensive mattress! But it was so soft and nice and supposed to be like a tempur-pedic mattress and relieve pressure points, yaddah, yaddah, yaddah... we bought the mattress.

It showed up the following day and was NOTHING like what we thought it was going to be. We couldn't believe we were so stupid to buy this thing. It was not comfortable, it was a bed of torture. We tried it out for a week, ended up spending the last night we had it downstairs on our old mattress on the table bed, and went back to the store to figure out how to get rid of this thing.

The sales guy was very nice. Apparently they had a couple of other people who had gotten this type of mattress and it had a manufacturing defect. We tried out the mattress in the store again. Yes, it was pillowy soft. Like laying on a cloud. We're not idiots, we really did choose a comfortable mattress.

So, they said they would replace our mattress. The new one came that night and it was definitely more comfortable. But still didn't seem quite right. And as the days have progressed this week, I've become more and more uncomfortable in it. We went to a different store and tried out this same mattress there yesterday. Yes, it was pillowy soft. Like laying on a cloud. We once again determined that we got a bum mattress.

Today I think we're going to try to exchange the damn thing again. Or, I should say, I think my husband is going to exchange it again. I, on the other hand, seem to have come down with the illness that our kids had last week (upset stomach, etc.) and even though I came in to work today (because I'm such a dedicated employee *cough, cough*), I'm going to be leaving soon.

But, that's not the only "leaving" I'm doing. Tomorrow we're going to head over to New Orleans. I got an e-mail from my pen-pal yesterday saying that she's going to be in New Orleans this Saturday for her current "gig". My mother-in-law is actually over there currently and has been begging us to come over, so we figure this will kill two birds with one stone.

Ok, maybe I should explain about my "pen-pal" and her "gig". When I was in fourth grade, my fourth grade class and a fourth grade class in Indianapolis exchanged letters. Somehow, I was lucky enough to be matched up with someone who would turn out to be a longtime, very dear friend of mine. But, oddly enough, the first time we met face-to-face was at my wedding. She came to my wedding to be a bridesmaid and to sing. You see, she makes her living by singing and performing in New York City, or where ever the current "gig" takes her. This time, the gig is taking her to New Orleans and I'm soooooo excited to see her. She's never met the kids, either, so this should be fun!

And now since my stomach is making strange rumbling noises again, I'm headed home to lay (down on the comfortable couch!) and try to get over this icky bug.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

You know why you're sick right? It's payback for you bodily functions post yesterday.