Monday, January 09, 2006

Fever

The boy is now sick. He has a fever, but it doesn't seem to be slowing him down much. He obviously felt bad last night at 10:30 when he woke up, but I forced some medicine into him (by holding him down and shoving it into his mouth, making him gag and choke, and causing me to wonder if this proves that I'm a horrible mother for making him do this, or actually a caring mother who only wants to make her little boy feel better...) and then he felt well enough to keep his father in his room with him until 1:00 when he FINALLY gave up the ghost and went to sleep for good.

I've been trying to figure out if I should get some of those children's Tylenol meltaways, but I'm fairly certain he wouldn't allow those to pass through his lips, either. I checked all kinds of medical websites regarding fever and they all say that if the fever is "moderate" (for kids ~102F) - which is what his has been - and it doesn't seem to be bothering the child, then you should just watch it for a couple of days and then go to the doctor if it doesn't go away.

I called our doctor, however, and talked to his nurse and she said, "Oh no - you should try to get his fever down. Go get some fever reducing suppositories. They're over-the-counter."

I'm not so sure I want to find out how those will go over. If we actually decide to attempt that, I'll let you know how it went - that is, if I'm still alive after that struggle...

No comments: